The 2019 Orientation Leader team has already been selected. Submit your contact information below to receive an email when applications open in September 2019 for the 2020 Orientation Leader team.Join the 2020 Orientation Leader Interest List
- Assist in the organization and preparation and execution of new student orientation (first-year, transfer/adult, and parent/guest), Welcome Week, and Family Weekend programming
- Lead small-group sessions for first-year and transfer students
- Participate in the creation of various orientation performances, presentations, and evening activities
- Familiarize new students with campus services and activities
- Serve as a resource when new students have a concern or problem; be knowledgeable of campus services to provide referrals for new students and their parents
- Serve as a role model for new students by displaying the responsibility and maturity, including adherence to all university guidelines and policies
- Assist with new students’ transition by building mentor relationships that continue into the academic year
- This list is not comprehensive and OLs will be expected to complete other duties as they are assigned.
- Be a full–time degree-seeking undergraduate student and have completed 12 credit hours at the University of Tennessee by January 2020
- Maintain a 2.5 minimum cumulative GPA throughout the duration of the position (minimum high school GPA of 3.0 for first-year applicants)
- Be in good academic standing with the University of Tennessee and uphold the university’s standards of conduct throughout the duration of the position
- Exhibit qualities of a student leader: reliability, responsibility, confidence, flexibility, a positive attitude and strong work ethic, teamwork, strong communication and interpersonal skills, problem solving and conflict management abilities, and initiative
- Demonstrate a commitment to the University of Tennessee and a willingness to serve others
Employment as an Orientation Leader begins in January and continues through the next January (for example, the 2019 Orientation Leader team’s employment begins in January 2019 and continues through January 2020). Students interested in serving as an OL can anticipate the following time commitments:
- Spring Semester
- Orientation Leader Class (Weekly)
- Orientation Leader Team Meetings (Weekly)
- NODA Region VI Conference (Mid-March)
- Summer Semester
- May Intensive Training (2.5 weeks starting in Mid-May)
- All summer orientation sessions
- Fall Semester
- Welcome Week
- Fall Family Weekend
- November Orientation
- Spring Semester (next year)
- January Orientation
- Winter Welcome
Campus housing is provided during May training and summer orientation sessions for all orientation leaders, and they are compensated at an hourly rate for the hours worked during each orientation session.
Generally, applications for the following year open in early September and close in early October. Information sessions are held during the application period, with interviews in October and early November and hiring decisions made before Thanksgiving break.
Submit your contact information below to receive an email when applications open.
By applying to be an orientation leader, you give New Student and Family Programs permission to review your academic and judicial records. If you do not meet the minimum GPA requirements or are not in good standing with the university, you will be notified via your UT email that you will not be continuing in the selection process.
If you have any questions about serving as an orientation leader, call 865-974-4546 or email email@example.com.